The country music community of Québec assembled on Sept. 11, 2020, to celebrate the artists and songs that have most strongly reached country music lovers over the past year. In all, 13 “Willie” Awards were handed out on Stingray’s Palmarès ADISQ channel to celebrate the achievements of Francophone Canadian artists and craftspeople and Anglophone Québec artists and craftspeople who stood out in 2019.
SOCAN was once again a partner in the celebration, and the SOCAN Songwriter of the Year Award was presented by our Chief Quebec Affairs & Visual Arts Officer, Geneviève Côté. This prestigious award went to the talented Léa Jarry, who’ll also have the opportunity to enjoy a free creative stay at the SOCAN House in Nashville as soon as circumstances allow.
Jarry expressed her appreciation for SOCAN’s work with these words in her acceptance speech:
The Gala Country 2020 winners are:
- Original Song Album of the Year: “Si on y allait” (Patrick Norman)
- Covers Album of the Year: Laurence Jalbert au pays de Nana Mouskouri (Laurence Jalbert)
- SOCAN Songwriter of the Year: Léa Jarry
- Song of the Year: “La Gibson de mon père” (Performer: Patrick Norman; Songwriter: Danny Boudreau)
- Breakthrough Artist of the Year, sponsored by Paja Communications: Beauséjour
- Promoter of the Year: Festival Country de Lotbinière
- Radio Show of the Year: En route vers l’ouest with Véronique Labbé
- TV Show of the Year: Tout simplement country with Guylaine Tanguay
- Group of the Year: Beauséjour
- Female Artist of the Year: Laurence Jalbert
- Male Artist of the Year: Patrick Norman
- Show of the Year: Matt Lang
- People’s Choice Award: Daniel Bertrand
SOCAN warmly congratulates all Gala Country 2020 winners!