Songwriting producer T-Minus has worked with Drake, Nicki Minaj, The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar, Camila Cabello, Travi$ Scott, and Justin Bieber, among many others. He talks with us about how he contributed to “The London,” performed by Young Thug featuring J. Cole & Travi$ Scott, and his work with J. Cole on “Middle Child” – both of which won SOCAN 2020 Rap Music Awards.
The Screen Composer of the Year is given to the composer whose current material has received the greatest number of performances in the year, combined with critical success, diversity, and a robust new body of work. Winner Andrew Lockington discusses how he recorded howler monkeys in their natural habitat, and also recorded the African Childrens’ Choir on tour, while looking for unique sounds to use for the award-winning score to a No. 1 North American box office movie, Rampage, which stars Dwayne Johnson.
A complete list of winners can be found at the 2020 SOCAN Awards microsite.
Canada’s most successful songwriters, composers, and music publishers are being honoured in the 31st annual SOCAN Awards, held for the first time online, with Shawn Mendes solidifying his place as songwriting royalty – earning two of the most prestigious prizes, and becoming the most-awarded SOCAN member in a single year.
Follow @socanmusic on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (#2020SOCANawards) to join in the celebration of more than 50 award winners, announced today through Sept. 25, 2020, via special virtual presentations. Celebrations include Drake, LIGHTS, bülow, Andrew Lockington, Daniel Caesar, Laila Biali, and more.
The SOCAN Special Achievement Awards are:
- Shawn Mendes. He wins his second SOCAN Songwriter of the Year – Performer Award, and adds the SOCAN International Achievement Award to his list of accolades. Mendes also takes home the SOCAN International Song Award and two SOCAN Pop Music Awards for the international hits “Señorita” and “If I Can’t Have You.”
- Andrew Lockington. For his brilliant musical contributions to such film and television productions as The Kindness of Strangers, Rampage, and Daybreak, Andrew Lockington is celebrated with the SOCAN Screen Composer of the Year Award, presented by SOCAN Foundation, alongside two other screen composing honours, the SOCAN International Film Music Award and SOCAN Achievement in Feature Film Music Award.
- Frank Dukes. Producing for some of the biggest names in music, Frank Dukes receives his third consecutive SOCAN Songwriter Of The Year – Producer Award. Dukes’s 2019 successes include production on the global chart-toppers “Sucker” by Jonas Brothers and “Wow.” by Post Malone.
- OZ. Producing for the likes of Drake, Tory Lanez, Future, and Meek Mill, and earning a Grammy nomination for his work with Travi$ Scott on “Sicko Mode,” OZ is an emerging global superstar and is honoured with the SOCAN Breakout Songwriter Award.
- Ali Gatie. His global hit “It’s You” experienced massive online success, and for that tremendous accomplishment he receives the SOCAN Viral Song Award.
- Third Side Music is presented with the SOCAN Publisher of the Year Award for being engaged and committed partners on music creators’ journeys to success.
- The SOCAN Licensed To Play Award goes to DESIFEST, Canada’s largest South Asian Music Festival, for consistently and conscientiously recognizing the importance of music rights. The return of music festivals can’t come soon enough; they’re an integral and valued part of the live music experience.
- The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame celebrates Lowell with The Slaight Music Emerging Songwriter Award for her incredible talent and growth as one of Canada’s fastest-rising music creators.
“The SOCANs look a little different this year but we’re no less thrilled to celebrate the incredible accomplishments of Canadian songwriters, composers, music publishers and music users,” said SOCAN Interim CEO Jennifer Brown. “Music has the power to lift our spirits and provide comfort in difficult times. Now, more than ever, music creators and publishers need to be recognized for the role they play in our lives. SOCAN extends our heartfelt thanks and congratulations to SOCAN Award recipients for their extraordinary and invaluable contributions.”
Music fans can support music creators and publishers by donating to the official charitable partners of the SOCAN Awards, the Unison Benevolent Fund and the SOCAN Foundation, organizations that work to assist deserving musicians, music creators and music publishers in their lives and careers.
SOCAN Achievement Award winners are determined collaboratively between the SOCAN Board of Directors’ Membership Committee and the leaders of SOCAN’s Membership department. They receive “The SOCAN” – the world’s first and only music industry trophy that’s also a musical instrument, incorporating five custom bronze crotales created by world-class percussion instrument maker SABIAN of New Brunswick.
The annual Gala de la SOCAN in Montréal, which celebrates and honours the work of SOCAN’s Francophone members, will be held in a similar event later this year.